What is video redaction?
Video redaction is the process of blurring out faces license plates, house numbers, and personally identifiable markings, such as body tattoos, or scars using a combination of automatic and manual video redaction software.
Why might I need redaction?
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a law that gives individuals the right to access information from the federal government. It is often described as the law that keeps citizens in the know about their government. https://www.foia.gov
FOIA raises issues not present in private sharing. Blurring faces and identifying information is necessary when releasing information to the public. Effective redaction is time consuming and labor intensive.
Why consider redaction as a service?
- We reduce the time commitment to redact video and audio
- We eliminate support staff requirements often difficult to manage
- We remove all associated costs with expensive software
- We support and work with records to comply with all laws
- We offer flexibility with Pay-Per-Request options and savings
- We have been working with digital video evidence for years and would enjoy working with you!
As someone who works for a large bureaucratic municipality, it was a pleasure having Focal Forensics handle our video redactions. They were responsive every step of the way and the work was done in a very timely manner.
-Chris Manser City of Chicago
Our clients include
The new laws in Colorado, SB 20-217 require all local law enforcement agencies to issue body-worn cameras to their officers and requires all recordings of an incident be released to the public within 14 days after the incident.
Image redaction services include
- The faces or any physical attributes (e.g. scars, tattoos, personalized clothing, of suspects, witnesses, undercover officers, confidential sources, ect.
- Driver’s license or other ID cards
- Addresses, house numbers, building names
- Vehicle license plates.
Audio redaction services include
- The voices, names, social security numbers, date of birth, home addresses, and other identifying information of confidential sources.
Names and other identifying information of federal law enforcement officers.
- We offer different types of audio redaction and can completely remove the unwanted content leaving a brief movement of silence or implement a specific beep desired.